Performancing Metrics

Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

She Smells the Dead by E.J. Stevens

Title: She Smells the Dead (Spirit Guide #1)

Author: E.J. Stevens

Publisher: Sacred Oaks Press

Pages: 165

Reviewed by: Sabrina

It's the beginning of senior year and Yuki's psychic awareness of ghostly spirits is threatening to ruin her life. Her ability to sense spirits of the dead isn't glamorous like on TV. SHE SMELLS THE DEAD. Yuki is being visited in her dreams and suspects that her friend Calvin is involved in something strange. Will Yuki be able to save the spirits and herself?

My Thoughts

Note: May have tiny spoilers. Eventually, you figure out Cal's secret once you read the first few chapters so I don't know.

Yuki does not have time for this. With prom coming up and she still doesn't have a date to the dance, she has no time to deal with some vineger smelling ghost. Especially now when Calvin starts to act strangely and she starts to have really creepy dreams.

Introducing She Smells the Dead, a novel that made me laugh, smile and gasp in delight.

She Smells the Dead is really different than any other books I've read. Rather than hearing or seeing the dead, Yuki smells them. It's pretty weird and pretty cool at the same time.There's a whole air of mystery surrounding the plot. More questions pop up at every turn. I wasn't entirely wowed but I was wowed enough.

Yuki is the awesomest (is that even a word?) character I've ever read. I loved reading her thoughts. Calvin is so... adorable, sweet and cute. Calvin is it for Yuki. You can't help but love the guy. You also can't help but wonder why Yuki didn't have a crush on Cal in the first place. That was my only problem. We all know Yuki has secret feelings for Cal, but did she have them just recently or for a long time? If it was recently, they should have slowed down in their relationship in the beginning. It was like BAM! "Wow, I'm noticing Cal as a guy and I don't know why! Hey, did that rhyme?" Maybe it was teenage hormones or the awakening of Calvin's wolf spirit? It's not really a problem but I would just like to know. Their romance was perfect once it blossomed though.

Too Short! Time to read the next one!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there,
    This sounds really interesting. I think smell might be the most overlooked/underused of the senses, so that in itself has me interested. And I love the name Yuki, AND Cal sounds like a sweetheart :) You're right though 165pgs does sound short. Might have to take a look.
    Hope you have a great day,
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete

Each comment means a lot to us! We'll try to get back to you here or, if you have one, on your blog!